Smelly skunky and cups of sugar.

When I got home yesterday, I felt OK. Normally, I am always super tired and if I even sit down for a moment, I will fall asleep and wake up a couple hours later wondering what the heck happened. It is always a struggle to convince myself to get dressed and head out for a run, and if I wait until after dinner, it is super late and I won’t get it done. So, because I felt pretty good, I decided to seize the opportunity and get a run in when I could.

I wanted to try something different, since I always run in Lawrence or on the Prairie Spirit trail, so I decided on the Flint Hills Trail. What I didn’t think about was that by the time I got there, it would be dark… and Flint Hills Trail is kind of scary after dark. The wildlife tends to be bigger and the timber is much deeper… not to mention the creepy Jason house where I am sure he is sharpening his machete and waiting for runners stupid enough to run at night.

I picked up the trail where in Ottawa. (I think pretty much where it joins with Prairie Spirit). Right away I noticed that it felt nice and cool – perfect running temp. I mean. I am running in February at night in shorts and a t-shirt. That is crazy! (I am Team Spring / Fall, by the way. I will gladly avoid crazy heat and cold if I can.)

Also, I need to mention how bad my allergies have been. I think because we didn’t have a horribly cold winter, all the bugs and such didn’t die off, so we are all already pulling ticks off. And the pollen has been really bad. I have had a miserable runny nose, sore throat and sinus pain the last few days. I neglected to take a wristband, so I had to keep wiping my nose on my shirt, which is kind of gross, and makes for a sore nose.

I trudged along and heard the usual rustlings in the timber so I cranked the music a little louder. Those are spooky sounds when you are solo! Eventually I came upon a skunk. Now, opossums and rabbits I will run right up on. Skunks, I yield the right of way. I want no part of that action, obviously. Once he cleared the trail, I was back in business.

After 3 miles, I was getting pretty thirsty, but I met up with my crew (aka person I could sucker into dropping me off at the trail and picking me up at the end) and chugged some water. It would have been easy to jump in the car and not do the last mile, but I told myself that I would be really angry at myself if I didn’t suck it up and get it done.

I headed out for my last mile and immediately could smell someone was burning their field. My allergies kicked into overdrive but I kept on chugging. By the time I finished, my eyes were watering so badly from all the smoke and particles in the air.

I think it is time for me to go and see an allergist because OTC medicine isn’t cutting it. I have tried them all and nothing is working. I haven’t ever been to an allergist but I think it might be time to start allergy shots. (I don’t know anyone who has had shots before and I don’t know what to expect with the tests or shots!)

Speaking of medicine… I started a new medicine for my insulin resistance. So far, I haven’t noticed any changes or adverse reactions. That’s actually a relief since the most commonly reported side effect is tummy distress. And I am really adverse to pooping my pants. Just saying.

In addition, I am supposed to be doing high protein meals. Apparently, I am not very good at this. Yesterday, I ate a ton of cheese, yogurt, and eggs. When I logged everything into My Fitness Pal, it yelled at me that I ate too much sugar. Apparently my yogurt is just a container full of sugar and carbs. Sigh. I will switch to Greek yogurt and see if that works a little better.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s